Subscribe:

IPL 2010 : Mumbai Indians! Duniya Hilla Denge!

Jan 21, 2009

Tendulkar is a global icon: Hayden


Matthew Hayden, who announced his retirement from the game last week, has come out in praise of India and the Indian players, most notably Virender Sehwag.

Virender Sehwag is as good as I was. I really admire Virender. He is exactly the brand of cricketer I would love to watch. I always enjoyed playing against him, Hayden was quoted as saying to a Mumbai daily, DNA.

Hayden is only one of three players in world cricket to score four hundreds in successive games thrice.

The southpaw, who rates his 380 against Zimbabwe as his best innings ever, rates Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar as the best batsmen of his time and Curtly Ambrose, Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralidaran as the best bowlers of his era.

About Tendulkar, the recipient of the Allan Border medal in 2002, Hayden said, Sachin Tendulkar is a global icon. During our last tour to India I thought Sachin`s influence on the group was immense as was his performance. He needed to get runs and he did.

Speaking about another Indian veteran Rahul Dravid, Haydos said, Rahul is one of the great icons and players of world cricket. He is one of the greatest players ever.

Chennai can win the IPL, feels Hayden

Although retired, Hayden said that he would fulfill his commitment to the Indian Premier League which means that cricket-lovers will get to see him back in action playing for his team the Chennai Super Kings when the 2009 seasons gets underway in April.

That is the cricket left in me. I`ve got great passion and drive to play for Chennai. I look forward to the IPL with great anticipation, said the Queenslander who added that he is very happy with the brand of cricket his team displays.

The Chennai Super Kings reached the finals of the IPL last year but the opener believes that this year his team will go all the way and achieve IPL glory in the forthcoming season.

I think we have the strongest side in the competition and I really believe that we can win this time.

Asked how he managed to dominate bowlers the world over with ease, Hayden, who has scored 30 Test-centuries said, I think I wanted to turn defence into attack. So my mindset was really to be the best attacking batsman I could be. I have always seen my role as an entertainer in the brand of Test cricket.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2010 SACHINIST™
Contact us | admin.sachinist@gmail.com